The CNY Solidarity Coalition Legislative Action Committee develops and coordinates a variety of ongoing campaigns directed at our elected officials at the local, state, and federal levels.
State Legislative Action Team
SLAT’s objective is to use advocacy to achieve progressive legislation, policies, and practices on the state and local levels. Functions for CNY Solidarity to help defend New York State against the Trump regime’s actions.
- Monitors legislation and engages with state senators and assembly members representing CNY.
- Advocates a progressive policy agenda with Governor Andrew Cuomo, Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, and other state officials as needed.
- Evaluates local issues on the same basis to engage with legislators and public officials to advocate for progressive change.
- Plans meetings, phone calls, letter writing, public education, and protests, as well as publicly expressing support for legislators’ and public officials’ actions aligned with CNY Solidarity’s concerns.
- Provides Action Alerts on current legislation.
Federal Legislative Action Team
The Federal Legislative Action team (aka Katko Watch—Indivisible NY24) uses strategies and resources drawn in part from the national Indivisible movement to monitor, report on, and engage with our representatives in Congress (currently Rep. John Katko, Sen. Charles Schumer, and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand).
- Drafting and disseminating a weekly legislative Action Alert email to all CNY Solidarity members
- Monitoring the congressional agenda regarding issues of concern to CNY Solidarity
- Researching and disseminating information regarding candidates for federal office
- Planning meetings with legislative staffers
- Organizing letter-writing and phone-calling actions targeting federal representatives
- Organizing public protest actions targeting federal representatives
- Organizing education/training events focused on national policy issues
- Collaborating with other Indivisible groups in CNY.
View Fact Sheets prepared by Federal Legislative Action Team
View Legislator/Legislative Information Resources
Town Hall Task Force
Organizes regular Town Hall Meetings, with (or without) Rep. John Katko, throughout the 24thCongressional District.
Climate Justice Action Team
Plans and organizes local actions focused on climate justice. Collaborates with state and federal legislative action teams as needed.
Health Care Action Team
Plans and organizes local actions focused on health care, including the campaign for the New York Health Act. Collaborates with state and federal legislative action teams as needed.
Criminal Justice Reform Team
The Criminal Justice Committee works with local civil rights and racial justice organizations as well as statewide and national campaigns to promote reform and restructuring of the racist, sexist, classist, ablest, transphobic, and homophobic systems of criminal justice in the United States.
Our efforts are concentrated on local issues that are 1) most pressing to the communities and organizations with whom we are allied and 2) where we feel we can have the most impact given the specific demographics and resources of our organization. We are currently getting to know our allied communities and organizations as well as each other in order to develop our current priorities for action. Contact: Claudia.