Unacceptable – Tom Price for Secretary of Health & Human Services
His appointment would threaten health & well-being of millions of Americans
President Donald Trump has nominated Alabama Representative Tom Price for Secretary of Health & Human Services (HHS), a cabinet-level position which requires confirmation by the US Senate. This process began with hearings conducted by the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, on Wed., Jan. 18, and will continue with a committee vote and then a full Senate vote sometime after Trump’s inauguration.
What does the HHS Secretary do?
- HHS is tasked with protecting the “health, safety, and wellbeing of America,” a function which gives the department tremendous influence over the everyday lives of all Americans. Health care, disaster response, medical research, food & drug regulation, nutrition & education support, and many other programs fall under the jurisdiction of HHS.
Why is Price unacceptable?
- Price has repeatedly voiced opinions demonstrating that as HHS Secretary, he would threaten the wellbeing of millions of Americans who depend on services provided by the department.
- He has repeatedly called for repealing the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and replacing it with the proposed “Empowering Patients First Act,” despite the fact that over 20 million Americans have gained access to health insurance through the ACA.
- He has repeatedly introduced legislation to ban federal funding for Planned Parenthood, which would restrict women’s access to affordable birth control, increase health care costs for women, and jeopardize programs that have successfully decreased rates of STDs, HIV, and teen pregnancies. Twenty percent of U.S. women have received health services from Planned Parenthood.
- He has supported legislation that would allow doctors to opt out of Medicare, sidestepping regulations meant to keep medical services affordable and allowing physicians to charge patients more money.
- He has supported the privatization of Medicare, which would force seniors to purchase health insurance from private providers.
- The HHS Secretary must be committed to the health and safety of all Americans, but Rep. Price called the Supreme Court’s decision to legalize same-sex marriage a “sad day for marriage,” voted against legislation that would prevent workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, and opposed the repeal of the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy. Just as dangerous is his perspective on gun safety: receiving a rating of 100 from the NRA, he is vocally “Pro-gun” and voted to overturn the Washington D.C. law requiring gun owner registration.
What can I do?
- Stop Price Now. Call your US Senators and urge them to speak out forcefully in opposition to his confirmation.
- Senator Charles Schumer (Syracuse office): (315) 423-5471
- Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (Syracuse office): (315) 448-0470
- Join the CNY Solidarity Coalition. We meet most Sundays at 3pm, and all are welcome. For more info: (315) 472-5478, CNYSolidarity@gmail.com, https://cnysolidarity.org/, https://www.facebook.com/cnysolidarity/, @IndivisibleNY24.